Indian Railways uses 25 kV AC Power Suppy for several reasons:
- Efficiency: 25 kV AC is more efficient than lower voltages, such as 11 kV AC, which means that less energy is lost during transmission. This is important for Indian Railways because it operates a large network of tracks and trains.
- Power density: 25 kV AC has a higher power density than lower voltages, which means that more power can be transmitted over the same conductor size. This is important for Indian Railways because it allows for the use of smaller and lighter conductors, which can reduce the cost of electrification.
- Standardization: 25 kV AC is the standard voltage for railway electrification in most countries around the world. This means that Indian Railways can purchase equipment from a wide range of suppliers, which can help to reduce costs.
- Compatibility: 25 kV AC is compatible with most existing railway locomotives and infrastructure. This means that Indian Railways can electrify its network without having to replace all of its existing equipment.
- Future compatibility: 25 kV AC is a future-proof voltage, which means that it can be used with new technologies, such as high-speed rail. This will allow Indian Railways to upgrade its network in the future without having to change its electrification system.
In addition to these reasons, 25 kV AC is also a safe and reliable voltage. It is used by railways all over the world, and it has a proven track record of safety and performance.
Here is a table that summarizes the advantages of using 25 kV AC for railway electrification:
|Efficiency||Less energy is lost during transmission.|
|Power density||More power can be transmitted over the same conductor size.|
|Standardization||Standard voltage for railway electrification in most countries.|
|Compatibility||Compatible with most existing railway locomotives and infrastructure.|
|Future compatibility||Future-proof voltage that can be used with new technologies.|
|Safety||Safe and reliable voltage with a proven track record.|